The Sun Temple, Modhera, at Modhera in Gujarat, is a temple dedicated to theHindu Sun-God, Surya. It was built in 1026 AD by King Bhimdev of the Solankidynasty. This temple depicts the essence of ancient times. The sculptures and architecture present in this temple are still magnificent after all these years. In the present times, prayers are not offered in this temple. This temple is now under the supervision of Archaeological Survey of India.
Other Sun Temples in India are as follows :
- Konark in Orissa
- Martand in Jammu and Kashmir near Almora in Uttarakhand
- Dakshinaarka temple in Gaya, Bihar
- Punark and Deo Barunark in Bihar
- Bhramanya Dev Temple at Unao, Balaji in Madhya Pradesh
- Sun Temple at Sri Surya Pahar in Assam
- Suryanaar Temple at Kumbakonam in Tamil Nadu
- Surya Narayana Swamy temple at Arasavalli in Andhra Pradesh
- Further, the Sun Temple of Multan, which is no more, is considered to be oldest Sun temple.